IgnitionOne’s quarterly report shows robust quarter across digital marketing includes huge growth in mobile advertising
IgnitionOne, a global leader in cloud-based digital marketing technology, released a Q4 2014 report today, highlighting trends and data for digital marketing across search, programmatic display, social and mobile. During this time the Yahoo!/Bing partnership grabbed the largest share of the US paid search market since 2008 following two quarters of strong growth. Mobile devices also show strong growth in both search and display advertising.
Digital marketing figures are released quarterly by IgnitionOne, which manages more than $1.5 billion in online advertising.
Key findings in the report:
- Yahoo!/Bing shows historic growth at best share since 2008: Yahoo!/Bing continued to chip away at Google’s huge lead and now holds with 26.3% of US search spend versus Google’s 73.7% in Q4. This is the highest market share and largest growth in share over consecutive quarters since the inception of the Search Alliance and equates to a 25.8% jump. The last time growth was close to this robust was in the period of Q4 2007-to-Q1 2008 when they saw a 20% jump.
- 2014 ends with a strong Q4 for Paid Search: Ending a robust holiday shopping season, US Paid Search saw advertising spend up 11% YoY in Q4. This is the highest rate of growth in 2014.
- Phones and Tablets pull even in spend share growth: Spending growth YoY for tablets is up 37% while phone spend is up 78%. As marketers become more sophisticated, creating stronger mobile-specific experiences, and consumers embrace a multi-device lifestyle, mobile becomes more attractive to marketers for effective reach.
- Mobile display growth continues – Mobile continues to see strong growth, limited only by inventory available. Most interesting is YoY growth for Android impressions far outpacing iOS, peaking on Thanksgiving Day with 57.8% of impressions.
- Healthy growth in programmatic display: Marketers continue to move budget to programmatic display ads due to stronger, trackable results with spend up 35% YoY. Contributing factors to increased effectiveness include better use of data feeding smarter strategies, and greater message relevance based on use of consumer data.
“These numbers show significant growth of mobile across the board, so it’s becoming more important for marketers to get a clear view of the customer across devices and across interactions,” said Roger Barnette, president of IgnitionOne. “Our IgnitionOne data management platform fuels messaging across search, display, social and mobile, making reports like this possible. Pulling together first- and third-party data allows for optimization of all interactions and increased relevance of messaging served.”
This report is the latest in a series of reports from IgnitionOne, reviewing trends across the online advertising landscape. This and previous quarterly reports can be downloaded at http://www.ignitionone.com/thought-leadership/
IgnitionOne is a global leader in cloud-based digital marketing technology. The company’s Digital Marketing Suite (DMS), with a powerful data management platform (DMP) at its core, simplifies life for marketers by providing an integrated suite of solutions that significantly improve digital marketing performance across all devices. The DMS encompasses algorithmic media management across channels such as search, programmatic display, mobile, email and social; advanced data management; user scoring, lead optimization and website personalization. With a global footprint of over 450 employees in 17 offices across 10 countries, IgnitionOne is one of the largest independent marketing technology companies in the world.
IgnitionOne currently scores over 300 million users monthly in 75 countries and powers more than $30 billion in revenue each year for leading brands, including General Motors, CenturyLink, Bridgestone, La Quinta and Fiat, as well as advertising agencies such as 360i, GroupM and iProspect.