Popular ad blocker for desktops now available as full browser app for Android; blocks adware, speeds mobile browsing, saves battery life
Adblock Plus, the #1 most popular browser extension for blocking annoying online advertisements, announced the beta launch of Adblock Browser for Android, the first foray into a more complete mobile ad blocking solution. The new browser will block annoying ads automatically, saving users battery life, keeping them safe and handing them control while they’re on the go.
Adblock Browser for Android is powered by Adblock Plus, the original ad blocker and market leader since 2006 that has been downloaded more than 400 million times. Adblock Browser allows users to enjoy:
- Automatic adblocking – This is the first browser of its kind to offer users ad blocking as an integrated feature. As more users block ads on their desktop, many are finding little value in the ads served on their phones and tablets. A study by PricewaterhouseCoopers from last year found that most mobile ad clicks were accidents. Automatic ad blocking in a browser app is the crucial first step in a complete mobile ad blocking solution.
- Fast, efficient browsing – Ads cause pages to load slower and can consume 23 percent of your battery. Loading ads also costs data, so blocking them on your mobile browser saves you on your data plan.
- Safer browsing – Malware often hides behind ads, even on trusted networks. Blocking annoying ads reduces your risk of infection, and Adblock Plus has been recommended by Stanford University, UC Santa Barbara and the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
- Total control – Annoying ads are always blocked, but users can encourage better ads by allowing nonintrusive ads to display. Users can change this setting at any time by simply tapping the Menu icon > Settings > Acceptable Ads.
“As people have embraced the mobile web, advertisers have rushed in after them and destroyed the user experience with ads that are often thoughtlessly designed, as well as mobile ad networks that are riddled with security holes. Adblock Browser for Android puts the control back into users’ hands,” said Till Faida, co-founder of Adblock Plus. “A complete Android browser app is a natural progression for us. In addition to blocking adware and obnoxious ads, we can offer faster browsing speeds, more efficient data use and even longer battery life. It’s a win-win for users across the globe.”
Join the Beta:
Join the Adblock Browser beta Google+ community here (make sure you’re logged into G+! first):
From there, just click the red “Join” button on the righthand side. Once you’ve joined go to “About this Community” and click the “Beta Opt-In.” There you can get exclusive access to the beta, install it and help us test it.
Adblock Plus is a free download for mobile users on Android, and a free browser add-on for Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Maxthon and Opera.
- Visit www.adblockplus.org to download Adblock Plus for your desktop browser.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/
About Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is an open source project that aims to rid the Internet of annoying and intrusive online advertising. Its free web browser extensions (add-ons) put users in control by letting them block or filter which ads they want to see. Users across the world have downloaded Adblock Plus over 250 million times. It has remained the most downloaded and the most used extension almost continuously since November 2006. In 2013 PC Magazine listed the extension as one of the best free Google Chrome extensions, and it received a 2013 About.com readers’ choice award for best privacy/security add-on.