London – AppsFlyer, the global leader in mobile attribution and marketing analytics, has today released a new data study revealing the state of app marketing in both the UK and across Western Europe in 2018, including revealing the top media sources by installs and client adoption. The study delves into data from 1.3 billion installs, over 80 billion app-opens and 290 million installs with cost data, accounting for $250 million in revenue.
The key findings of the study are as follows:
- Top 10 Media Sources: Facebook and Google remain the top two drivers of app installs, with Apple Search Ads and Snapchat also ranking in the top 10 for the first time in 2018
- Video is key to app install: video in particular has played a key role in driving app installs and opens from top platforms including Google, Facebook, and others. In 2018, installs from video ads in the UK grew 71% year on year from the same point in 2017.
- Shorter attention spans: research finds that app usage is on the rise across the board, but that apps are being used for a shorter period of time.
- Increased spend: AppsFlyer predicts that advertisers will spend 2.3 times more on app installs over three years (2017 to 2020), driven by a growth in the mobile attribution market.
- Marketers betting big on retention: marketers are increasing their investment to bring users back to their app, especially in the UK.
- App-install cost is increasing: cost-per-install (CPI) is growing by 10% year on year and iOS is consistently more expensive – at 50% higher than Android. Android was found to provide better ROI than iOS in both UK and Western Europe.
- UK app install fraud much higher than Western Europe: mainly driven by a high click-flood rate, the UK was found to have 20-30% higher fraud that Western Europe. Fraud comes in waves and after a drop in recent months, an increase can now be expected as fraudsters make their move.
Paul Wright, AppsFlyer’s Managing Director (UK / FR / MEA), said: “With this data study, AppsFlyer is offering marketers an in-depth look into the state of app marketing in the UK and Europe as a whole, and for the first time ever also unveiling App Install Market Predictions. I’m thrilled to be able to present this study at our MAMA London event today, so marketers all over Europe can benefit from these unique insights”.
AppsFlyer’s technology is found on 98 percent of the world’s smartphones, making it the global leader in mobile attribution and marketing analytics. Data-driven marketers rely on AppsFlyer for independent measurement solutions and innovative tools to grow and protect their mobile business. AppsFlyer’s platform processes billions of mobile actions every day, empowering app marketers and developers to maximize the return on their marketing investments. With Facebook, Google, Twitter, Pinterest, Snap Inc., Tencent and 3,500+ other integrated partners, and clients including HBO, Playtika, Waze, Alibaba, Skyscanner, Activision and 12,000+ leading brands worldwide, AppsFlyer has 14 global offices to support marketers and agencies everywhere. To learn more, visit www.appsflyer.com.