Telegraph Media Group and Infopro Digital among those celebrated at annual awards
London, UK: The Association for Online Publishing (AOP) celebrated both individuals and businesses at its prestigious annual awards ceremony last night.
Hosted in partnership with PubMatic, the AOP’s flagship event at Old Billingsgate in London honoured individuals, publishers, advertisers, agencies, and suppliers across 24 categories. Now in its 17th year, the 2019 ceremony saw the Best Digital Consumer Publishing Company awarded to Telegraph Media Group, while InfoPro Digital won Best Digital B2B Publishing Company.
On the night, Aaron Walawalker at Ilford Recorder won The Local Hero Award for Regional Digital Journalism award, a new category for this year, which reflects on the increasing importance of local journalism. Aaron was awarded the accolade for his local crowdfunding campaign called Redbridge Together to improve the London Borough of Redbridge’s rough sleeping crisis, which demonstrated the power of local journalism to bring stories to the attention of his readers. By humanising the story; Aaron created a campaign that went national and raised £21,123 for charity.
Also new for 2019, the Digital Publishing Award for Employer Excellence was presented to Raconteur. The initiatives presented to the judges showed how the culture of the company has changed through the implementation of programmes to improve employee wellbeing. As well as creating a motivated workforce, Raconteur saw its profit figures improve, demonstrating an overall impact on the business by investing in its people.
“The awards are a fantastic chance to celebrate and honour the exceptional talent that prevails across our industry”, commented Richard Reeves, Managing Director at AOP. “This year’s event was no exception – each and every finalist impressed during the judging process in another challenging year for publishing.
“We are especially pleased to recognise the value of local journalism and employer excellence through our two new awards. The importance of investigative content to society and its communities cannot be underestimated, as local journalism continues to tackle and fight for the big issues. It is also extremely encouraging to see employee wellbeing at the forefront for so many businesses, with diversity, inclusion, and nurturing talent all key priorities for the industry today. Congratulations to all of this year’s winners and thank you for all those who celebrated with us, including all our sponsors.”
The full list of winners is as follows:
- Digital Journalist of the Year — Amy Hunt, WomanAndHome.com, TI Media UK
- Digital Editor of the Year — Emma-Louise Pritchard, Country Living, Hearst Magazines UK
- The Local Hero Award for Regional Digital Journalism (Supported by Google News Initiative) — Aaron Walawalker, Ilford Recorder, Archant Community Media
- Digital Editorial Team of the Year: B2B (Sponsored by UKOM) — Architects’ Journal, EMAP
- Digital Editorial Team of the Year: Consumer — Beano Digital Network, Beano Studios
- Best Use of Video or Audio — On a Knife Edge, Vice
- Best Creative Solutions Led / Content Marketing Campaign — The ESPN Luck Index powered by Intel + ESPN, tpf
- Best Commercial Partnership (Sponsored by Lewis Silkin) — VICE Film School
- Best Media Technology Partner — Revealing The Hidden Web To Deliver Actionable Insights, Permutive
- Digital Advertising Operations Team of the Year (Sponsored by Xandr) — The Bridge Digital Operations Team: Re-Imagining Digital Operations, News UK
- Digital Sales Person of the Year — Dan Linton, Chemist+Druggist, Informa
- Digital Sales Team of the Year — The Bridge Digital Sales & Strategic Development Team, News UK
- Audience Development Team of the year — The Sun, News UK
- Best Digital Publishing Innovation (Sponsored by Deloitte) — Decanter, Premium, TI Media UK
- Best Research / Insight Project — Sun Savers Segmentation, News UK Insights Team
- Best Use of Data (Sponsored by 1plusX — Beano Studios
- Digital Publishing Rising Star 2019 — Amrit Baidwan, Dennis Publishing
- Product Development Team of the Year — Dennis Digital
- The Digital Publishing Award for Employer Excellence (Sponsored by Project 23) — Raconteur
- Best online Media Property or Brand: B2B — Risk.net, Infopro Digital
- Best Online Media Property or Brand: Consumer (Sponsored by ADYOULIKE) — bbcgoodfood.com, Immediate Media Co
- Small Digital Publisher of the Year — Faversham House
- Best Digital B2B Publishing Company 2019 (Sponsored by PubMatic) — Infopro Digital
- Best Digital Consumer Publishing Company 2019 (Sponsored by PubMatic) — Telegraph Media Group
Further details about the AOP Digital Publishing Awards 2019 can be found at www.ukaop.org/awards-winners
About the Association for Online Publishing
The Association for Online Publishing (AOP) is an industry body representing digital publishing companies that create original, branded, quality content. AOP champions the interests of media owners from diverse backgrounds including newspaper and magazine publishing, TV and radio broadcasting, and pure online media. For more information, please visit www.ukaop.org.