BlueHornet Networks releases report analyzing firsthand responses from more than 1,000 U.S. consumers
SAN DIEGO – BlueHornet Networks, Inc., the email marketing provider from Digital River, Inc. (NASDAQ: DRIV), today released its 2014 Consumer Views of Email Marketing report: http://bit.ly/VMz4Wx. The results highlight important findings about consumer behavior and sentiment toward email marketing as well as consumer interactions with brands, and their use of social media and text messaging. The survey includes response data from a national panel of more than 1,000 consumers between the ages of 18 and 75 across the United States.
“The data includes insights that digital marketers can use to create programs that build and sustain relationships with consumers. It also reinforces that consumers prefer brands reach out to them via email more than any other mode of communication.”
Among the key survey findings:
- Consumers check their email accounts early and often, including slightly more than 80 percent who check their email before they start work – a data point marketers can use to target subscribers and hone messaging.
- More than 80 percent of consumers report that discounts are the number one reason they sign up to receive emails, a figure that is in line with findings from 2013. The 2014 survey revealed that a reduced dollar amount is the most attractive type of offer. The second most eye-catching discount is a percentage off when consumers are 18 to 45 years old while free shipping hits the mark for 46 to 75 year olds.
- Nearly 45 percent of consumers will wait to make a purchase until they receive a discount – a valuable data point for segmenting those who need an offer versus those who will purchase without one.
- Of consumers who made at least one purchase in the last year, approximately 38 percent engaged from a mobile email and have used a mobile coupon.
- In 2014, just over 87 percent of consumers say they will either delete or unsubscribe altogether from an email list if mobile email messages don’t display properly, up from the 2013 findings. More than ever, designing messages with mobile in mind is critical to the success of email campaigns.
- Given the choice, almost 70 percent of consumers want to communicate with brands via email rather than direct mail or text messages, underscoring the ongoing importance of the email channel.
- Finally, consumers overwhelmingly agree that one to two commercial text messages per week is the ideal amount of text message communication from a brand.
“This survey is loaded with personal consumer responses that help paint a more complete picture of individual relationships between consumers and the brands that email them,” said Mike Biwer, vice president and general manager for BlueHornet. “The data includes insights that digital marketers can use to create programs that build and sustain relationships with consumers. It also reinforces that consumers prefer brands reach out to them via email more than any other mode of communication.”
BlueHornet’s Consumer Views of Email Marketing report was designed to give marketers added insight into:
- Email Habits – The number of email addresses consumers have; when, where, and how often they check them;
- Frequency and Relevancy – The reasons consumers subscribe to commercial emails, the information they are willing to share, and how many marketing emails they receive;
- Purchasing Behavior – Factors that inform a consumer’s decision to purchase online;
- Mobile Devices – How consumers engage with mobile email; Passbook and geo-targeting adoption rates; and
- Social Media and Text Messaging – Consumer views on the commercial uses of Facebook and text messages.
About BlueHornet Networks
BlueHornet Networks helps companies large and small reach their email potential. More than 2,200 brands rely on BlueHornet’s powerful, yet easy-to-use email marketing solutions and 360° Support to engage their customers on any device, wherever they are. Founded in 2000, BlueHornet is located in San Diego, Calif., and is the email marketing provider from Digital River, Inc. For more details, visit www.bluehornet.com, follow @bluehornetemail on Twitter or call 866-586-3755.
About Digital River, Inc.
Backed by 20 years of ecommerce experience, Digital River is recognized as a leading global provider of Commerce-as-a-Service solutions. Companies of all sizes rely on Digital River’s multi-tenant, SaaS commerce, payments and marketing services to manage and grow their online businesses. In 2013, Digital River processed more than $30 billion in online transactions, connecting B2B and B2C digital products and cloud service companies as well as branded manufacturers with buyers across multiple devices and channels, and nearly every country in the world.
Digital River is headquartered in Minneapolis with offices across the U.S., Asia, Europe and South America. For more details about Digital River, visit the corporate website, read the Digital River Blog, follow the company on Twitter or call +1 952-253-1234.